Sunday, June 8, 2014

It still looks like this...

Continuing with the theme of the remodel, it still looks like this...


Still bare bones at this point, but all the debris from the demo is gone and framing is in process...


Looking through from what will be the new kitchen to the front door...

Photographic evidence that actual work is being done... (just kidding, they've been busting their butts)

I even ventured down into bowels/basement of the house.  It never occurred to me the amount of work that has to be done in this area...

The old furnace was removed and you can see all the way back into the other "rooms" under the house.  It reminded me somewhat of going into a cave.  When I was a child, I was never comfortable going down into the basement.  Grandmother stored her jars down there (in a glass mountain that was quite precarious) and other than that it was only accessed when maintenance had to be done.  Quite interesting to see this area as an adult.

These openings were probably for the coal storage area.  Sister would know more than I, as I just don't remember much about the basement.

While I was looking around, TD (the contractor) said "you need to take a picture of this mess" and just shook his head.  Apparently, as the years have passed, the house (like so many others) has been the victim of jury rigging.  If fact when he was doing the demo on a room upstairs, which had been intended for use as a kitchen, he said it was just by the Grace of God that the house hadn't burned years ago.

Well, everything is being brought up to code, and I know it will be a lovely house again.

I hope you are enjoying this remodelogue.  I'll keep you posted and we'll talk soon.

1 comment:

Peri said...

I sit, look, and tremble! If my Uncle had realized what the wiring was like, he would never have made it to 80 years of age!
This place is going to be great when it is finished, I am certain. Tell TD that I agree with him!! I bet most people have never even seen knob and tube wiring!!
Eager for the next installment!