Sunday, August 3, 2008

But is it really art????

My hubs and I went to the local cultural center last night for a concert. This event was billed as a rock opera and we were familiar with several of the musicians taking part. The first band, "The Bastards of Fate" are a rocking, off the wall, alternative band with some performance art thrown in and they were just great. High energy, weirdness and humor in just the right amounts. In my opinion, they were better than the main event.... "Space Monkey Odyssey. "

The Odyssey was alright, I suppose. The musicians were accomplished and well-rehearsed and the drummer was really good. There were flashing lights and the President and Mrs. Lincoln were in the reserved box seats (yes, you read that correctly). There were cute dancers and of course, the main character,The Space Monkey. The music was all original and had somewhat of a space vibe and there was a movie screen with monkeys and space shots and such. It was all "entertaining", yet for some reason...I'm just not sure that I got it.


That being said, here is a picture to give you an idea. All in all, we had a nice time. We sat with a couple that has a movie review and we had fun talking with them. Hubby and I stopped and got treats before going home, so a good time was had by all.

Got up early and went to the flea market. Got a sparklie necklace to repurpose and also had a t-shirt made . It has two hearts on it and both our names in little fuzzy velvet letters, so that was pretty cool.

I have been so inspired by the lovely Susan Carlin and her artwork. Susan does beautiful artwork in oils, but I decided to try my hand at watercolor, just to get back in the groove. I am not very accomplished with a paintbrush, so I checked out the book Watercolor Workshop from the library. It has step by step instructions and lots of information, so I thought I'd dig out the watercolor supplies.....


and do just what it says, take it step by step. I did get a bit warm out on the deck, but it just seems so "arty" to paint outside. I got myself excited several times, thinking I was making mistakes, but I regrouped and reminded myself that this is just practice and no one is going to grade me on it. After that realization, I enjoyed myself more and finally came up with this....


Sorry, this is not the best photo in the world, but you can see that I sort of got the colors and perspective correct. I am fairly happy with it. Thanks, Susan for all your inspiration. I hope to one day tackle oil paint. I don't know why I am so scared to paint. I can draw like a mad woman. I think maybe, painting feels like it gives me less wiggle room than I'm used to. ..but that's ok. Perhaps it time to climb outside that box for a while.

Later this week I'm going to post some of my ATC's and probably a picture of a NEW HAIRCUT!
Yes, I'm going to get a trim this Wednesday and you never know what will happen when Misty and I get together at the salon.

Lastly, thanks so much for all your fabulous input regarding glasses. I did need a slight change in my prescription and the doc said that I would probably be happiest with two pairs of glasses. One for close up and one for distance. I don't think I want to have to do that, so he suggested trying a lined bifocal and if I don't like that, I'll go back with the progressives.

Well, our smoke alarm is beeping, I hope the battery is low because, YIKES, what a scary sound. I used to set the smoke alarm off all the time when we used the fireplace, but I know it's not that. Urggh... That darn thing wont stop chirping, better go see what's up. Till then, keep doing art and have a great rest of the weekend.


later
......now that was funny. DH and I have just spent the past 15 minutes walking around trying to find what was beeping. He had taken the battery out of the smoke alarm and we heard the beep again. We checked the cell phones, wait for the beep...check the bedrooms, wait for the beep...check the kitchen, wait for the beep...( we are shutting doors as we check, so we can hear better) check the bathroom, wait for the beep...the last door that is open is the linen closest in the hall. Hubbs is flattened up in the closet like a cartoon super hero and wait, wait,...there's the beep!!! We look up and lo and behold, there is another smoke alarm in the hall, that we both have forgotten about. We are still laughing. We are crazy old coots. If you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

Feel free to join in the giggling. On that "beep" (excuse me, note) I am outta here! Love y'all bunches.

2 comments:

Kims Art said...

It sounds like you had a good time. I love to go to things like that. You did a great job with that watercolor. It's good to do things like that sometimes. I call them learning sessions. I also do these paintings called "don't think just paint" I find a picture of inspiration and I allow myself only hour and when I find myself thinking about the painting I chant those words "Don't think just paint" It works!

Unknown said...

We "Bastards of Fate" thank you so much for the complement. Thank You for joining us. :)