Monday, November 3, 2008

Well, that was interesting...

In answer to Sunday's question, everyone was right.

Everwild, saw what it was immediately. It is dryer fluff . When I went to remove it from the dryer, after laundering new flannel sheets, it looked so clean and soft that it reminded me of...

Cindy's guess, roving. It looks like roving, so it probably will handle like roving. Right? What I quickly found out, is that when working with this colored airy fluff, it reacted much more like...

Tascha's answer, cotton candy. It was sticky and covered my fingers. While I was working with it, my questions to myself were much more like...

Kim's answer, I have no idea, but I can't wait to find out... I didn't know what was going to happen, but that's how I roll.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of my dryer fluff project. It's good to experiment and I am one of those nuts that won't be told, "no that won't work". I'll make it work.


First I put white glue on a wooden bead and placed pieces of the fluff on the bead with a needle tool. Tedious and not that great...

Next I rolled the gluey bead onto the fluff. That worked better, but due to the nature of this fiber, this just wasn't a very fun project. It was frustrating, but I wouldn't stop until I got some fiber covered beads that I could string and pretend it was an artsy piece of jewelry.


The beads turned out to be very unstable, with the fluff that wasn't glued down to want to puff off. I took Metallic Silver thread and wrapped around each bead and that looked pretty good, until I started to handle them. Then the thread started to unwind, yada, yada. You have all had projects like this I'm sure.

All of this came into being, because I have a really funky necklace that has covered wooden beads on it. Some are beaded, some are wrapped in yarn or thread. I was trying to duplicate this technique (although none of them are covered with blue lint). I did end up with two pretty cute, chenille wrapped beads that I made into lightweight dangle earrings.



These turned out to look really cute and would be easier to do, once you found the best way to glue and not get so sticky.

Anyway, that's what my latest project was...covered beads. I am off to pursue more of the same.

Have fun and don't forget to get out early in the morning and vote.

2 comments:

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Wow! You are so smart! Beads out of fluff! And those earrings are too cute.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I've been there... used to make handmade paper out of dryer lint. When you've got wet hands, handling the fluff is a real pain!

Like where you were going with the idea though. How about some spray adhesive? Would that be easier to deal with?

Love how the fluff beads turned out and the chenille ones are great too!