Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sneak Peek

Ok kids, here is a sneak peek of my current project...

I have been longing to work with wire again and decided to do something different this time. Well, different for me anyway. I usually like to do things that work up quickly and wire wrapping 60 beads does not fall into that category. It's not a difficult technique, but it is time consuming. You make a wrapped eye pin (the wire with the circle on top) from 24 gauge wire, thread the bead onto the wire close to that circle, then take the opposite end of the wire, bring it up over the bead and wrap it over the already wrapped end. This is fairly thin wire, so it isn't as bulky as it sounds, and makes for a very nice component. Since I'm a bit out of practice, my fingers and wrists will probably get sore, so I am taking it slow. I may have the finished product by the end of the week.

In the last post I mentioned that I had cleared my work area so I could sew. This was an ongoing project, that actually took several months to complete. I had a pair of jeans that I got on sale at Ann Taylor Loft. They were way too long and the color was way too dark, but it was really a great deal, price wise. To get rid of that dark indigo blue, I filled the sink up with hot water, added one cup of good old fashioned bleach and crumpled the jeans up in the bleach water and left them for about one hour. I actually did this two separate times. They eventually came out looking like a reversed tie dye. Very cool. Then they were washed several times and dried to just the right softness.

Well, by this time I have lost a tiny bit of weight and they are too big. Since they were light weight, I was able to take them apart fairly easily. I laid them out flat, then I placed my favorite jeans on top of them and cut them down to that size. I sewed the seams back, zig-zagged the edges and re-fitted the waist band and hemmed the legs. I hope I'm not making this sound too easy, as it took me several hours to get them just right, but now they fit like custom made jeans.

So that's it for today. It's supposed to be warm here tomorrow, so I think I'll pick up sticks in the woods. That is an ongoing process, but it's fun to be outside. Take care and enjoy your week.

TTFN

3 comments:

Kristen H said...

WOW! My mom made all our clothes when we were growing up. It was fun to pick through the patterns and find the clothes we wanted. And then the fabrics, so fun!!! I didn't pick up the sewing gene from her though. She does lots of textile art. Potato bags, quilts, knit sock, crochet, knitting, Swedish weaving. I would love to see your jeans!!! I can't wait to see your finished necklace either!
I guess it is supposed to be 70s or 80s this weekend!!! I can't wait to put my hoodies away.

Anonymous said...

Have fun with the wire wrapping! I'm still working on some pieces and will share more as I go. You go girl with the sewing machine. I can sew a button, maybe sew a straight edge for something but that is about it. Have a great rest of the week!

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Holy smokes!! You're a braver woman than I.
I've only gone as far and hemmin' a pair of jeans. Kudos to you! So are you goin' to show us the reverse tie dyed look? Inquirin' minds want to know. :> )
~Peanut