Friday, July 30, 2010

Flowers for the weekend

Let's start the weekend off with some flowers...


These steps lead to my sisters' home in San Diego. Whenever we're there we have lots of coffee and gaze out the windows while we decide what to do that day. Don't these colorful plants just send you?

This painting started out as a color study. Only problem is, I didn't stop soon enough and get out my good sanded paper. This was done on a piece of smooth watercolor paper. When it wouldn't accept any more pastel in an area, I dabbed on liquid matte medium with a smallish paintbrush, let it dry and then added another layer. This worked quite well. There's a name for this technique, but I can't remember it. In any event, I got the look I was going for. Now if I can just remember to start out on the good paper, I'll be headed in the right direction.

Well, that's it for now. Enjoy your weekend and remember to stop and smell the ________.

(can you identify the flowers in this picture?)

11 comments:

Jenny Stevning said...

Lovely painting! I will stop and smell the crepe myrtles. Well, I don't know if they smell, but for some reason they are extra glorious right now. My street is lined with layers of pink, magenta and lavender.

Peri said...

I am so proud of this one that I am about to burst! Bravo, well done and all of that.
Now send it to me for my new office!

Sea Gypsy said...

This is really a beautiful piece! I think you need to do flowers, flowers and more flowers! The colors are wow! I love it!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Those colors are just amazing. What a beautiful painting...kudos to you girlfriend!

Ya'll have a fun day filled with warm sunny blessings!!!

Artgalcrafts said...

Hi Susan to be able to paint like this, you will never bewithpout something beautiful to look at.
love the colour
E. XXX

Tina said...

Enjoying seeing these works you are creating so much. notecards? prints anyone? seriously. These are so cool
T

Susan said...

Jenny, Thanks,those colors are my favorites, also. I remember crepe myrtles from my childhood. They were beautiful.

Peri, Thanks so much for convincing me to try pastels. You know that this little painting will certainly be coming your way soon.

Kim (Sea Gypsy) Thank you so much. This means a lot coming from the Queen of Roses.

Nezzy, Thank you for your sweet words, I appreciate you being able to slow down long enough to even stop by. You are the prototype for the Energizer Bunny. Would love to have your get up and go!

Elizabeth (Artgalcrafts), You are too sweet. Not many can paint a silk masterpiece like you. And very few can see the beauty in everyday life as you do. xoxo

Tina, funny you should mention that. I was definitely thinking of having note cards made from this latest painting.

***********************************

I am seriously loving pastel painting. I am getting ready to revamp my studio, so be prepared for more!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Ooh, I'm dreadful at flowers. I know they're gorgeous though!

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

I know I said this before and I'll say it again... GORGEOUS!!!!! ♥
~Peanut

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Hi Susan! Beautiful piece. It feels like you've capture the magic of your sister's garden. Wonderful work! Also, I loved your intro video too. :)

Marie Lourenço said...

Beautiful flowers!!! congratulation