Friday, June 15, 2012

Billy Goat's Gruff

No, it's not what you are thinking. This post is about my adventurous husband and the brush cutter.  It's called a Billy Goat and after delivery on a truck that was waaaaaay too large...


Seriously, the mower looked so tiny on this huge truck.  Then after it is unloaded from the truck, it looks more like a piece of machinery that can actually be used...


It's a pretty meaty mower.  This souped up mower is supposed to cut and mulch thick brush and even small saplings, and my hubby is raring to go.  When gazing at the brush and weeds in our wooded lot, I'm not too sure that either one is up to the challenge...

We usually have a tree cutting service bring a heavy duty piece of machinery in to do the cutting.  After all we have almost an acre of woods.  Although this is a huge undertaking, we started doing research and found a walk behind brush cutter and decided to rent one to see if it would even make a dent in it.  If so, this would save us several thousand dollars each year on brush cutting.

There was a bit of a learning curve with this machine, and while it wasn't easy to operate over the very rough terrain, it was doable.  That's not to say hubby didn't have to man-handle it a bit, but for the most part, it worked pretty well.


The thing he really liked about this mower/cutter is the ability to go around the trees.  The tree guys aren't able to do this with the tractor and attachment that they use and more often than not, lots of what should have been cut was just being crushed by the wheels of the tractor.  Not with this machine, it really did cut and mulch the sticks, weeds, ivy and such.

It took the better part of two days, working in 2 hour segments at a time, taking periodic breaks for water and a bit of rest.  Actually the first machine had a cable break and we had to have them bring another one to replace it.  After the delivery of the second machine is when the real work got done.  Hubby is quite a go-getter and he was determined to make sure he got the job done...


So with all that being said, let's look at the after...



So, that's what we did this past week. He really worked hard at this project and found out that for the price of rental and delivery, under $200.00, to be specific... woods maintenance is something you can do yourself. Just count on sweating a bit, using plenty of Off and some slightly sore muscles.

Hubby's main reason behind making sure we got this done, was the fact that my second cataract surgery was Wednesday.  Everything went fine and each day my vision is better and better.  I can read the closed captions on the TV's at the gym and hubby is astounded at how fast I am walking.  He has been so supportive of my decision to do this, as has my sister and my friends.  I told my surgeon when I went back for my next day check up that he did more than corrective surgery on my eyes, he actually did surgery on my confidence.  I feel like a different person, and I realize now that I was dealing with much worse vision than I realized.

I'm seeing life in a different way... and it's looking good.

So with all that in mind, I can honestly say now...I'll see you soon.


3 comments:

Peri said...

Those photos really do tell the story! The first with the steps and all that tall green growth..and the same shot after DH mowed and mowed....vast difference. These should be sent to the company which sells the machine! Even I am impressed!
Also glad your second surgery went well and that you can see so much better. Now go do some artsy stuff and let us know if the surgery makes a bit difference there as well! Again, congrats on the successes of both you and your yard maintenance staffperson!

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Hee-hee!! I had to laugh at that first photo! Man, that machine really does the job! I could use one of those at the ol' Countryfolk homestead. But I don't think I have the guns to wrestle it around. (Twenty years ago... maybe) ;> )
So glad your surgeries went well and the ol' peepers are seeing great!

Maalai said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.