Monday, September 30, 2013

Whoopie!!!!

Whoopie Pie, that is.  I wanted something sweet yesterday, so I got out my eighteen year old cookbook, published by our local television station.  Some of the best recipes come from your own home town, don't they.  Now that so many of our Moms and Grandmas are gone, we have to go to old recipe cards and cookbooks, as well as family and friends for recipes.  I know that the internet is F-U-L-L of interesting techniques and recipes, but it's comforting to use an older cookbook.  Something tried and true. You know that someone made this same recipe many, many times and it was successful enough to submit for publication.  Imagine how exciting that must be to have your recipe picked. Sorry, I digress.

Anyway, I try to keep basic ingredients on hand, as I love to cook and bake when I'm in between projects (or in between episodes of Cold Case), or if I'm just plain bored.  So here we have my latest creation...

I guess it made about thirty cookies when assembled.  If I had made the individual pieces larger it would have probably worked better.  I'm still learning my new electric range and how to adjust for dark pans or insulated cookie sheets and whatever, but I'm very happy with the results.

There are other recipes online that contain brown sugar if you want a sweeter cake/cookie.  For me, this worked...


I think this is the funniest recipe, because the cook automatically assumes that you know how to do this.  "Mix cookies in the order listed" certainly is less wordy than cream the sugar and shortening together, blah, blah, blah.  It's just like what your Mom or Auntie would have told you, knowing that you already knew the basics.  If you don't know the basics, this recipe may be confusing for you.  For me, even as much as I love to talk and type, sometimes the fewer words... the better. That's the way I feel about this recipe.  I did have extra filling left over, so next time I'll be more generous when putting them together. 


Hope you like them.

2 comments:

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

I've never had one of these. Hmmm. I may have to try this recipe.
Am I supposed to wash it down with RC Cola?? Or do I have my pies mixed up?
I haven't had an RC Cola since the 70's. I loved it. :> )

Peri said...

This reminds me of the little Mickey's Devil Food Cakes we got as kids! I am SO excited that I am going to make some for my very own self. Thanks two tons for the recipe!! I am wondering though why I don't have that same cookbook....wonder if it is just packed away?However, so long as you have it.....