Tuesday, January 1, 2008

An Unusual Grouping

Here are three things that don't really go together. The iron is a working, electric toy iron that I found in my old toys at my Grandma's house. I learned to iron handkerchiefs with this very iron. Can you believe the toys they let us have? It's a wonder we weren't injured more than we were. What with Vac-u-Forms and Creepy-Crawler makers (both electric toys that got very, very hot) and the like.

These Beatles dolls somehow survived the years, I don't even remember having them (maybe that is why they made it into 2008).

The china doll belonged to my Gram's friend, Clara, when she was a child. She thought it was very funny to say it was her "Barbie" doll. When I recently did research on it, oddly enough, it was referred to as the "Barbie" of it's day, due to the large number that were made. I think it is called a "low-brow" (because of her hairline). Her little clothes are not original, but they are still pretty old.

Several of my blog friends are talking of doing larger pieces of art this year. That got me thinking along those same lines. I have several large , previously painted canvases that I wanted to reuse, so I spent some time today working on one . I wanted to have a black background, but didn't want to use black gesso. So I puts on the old thinking cap and remembered-I have this really neat ball of paper that was stuffed in the shoes that I got for Christmas, AND guess what color it is??? Ding, Ding, Ding... you are right, it is black. So sticky fingers and almost an entire bottle of Elmer's glue later, I have a really neat looking canvas to start something new on. I will keep you posted (pardon the pun) on how that works out.

The next time you get bored and need something different to watch, check out this . Just don't let it make you dizzy.

Well, I am off to see what I can get into. We will talk soon. TA, TA.

3 comments:

noodle and lou said...

Happy New Year dear Susan!!!
I have such an obsession with old toys and LOVE that doll so much! What fun treasures!!

Your 2 pieces of you and your hubby and the tribute to your mother in law...are absolutely fabulous! Looking foward to all the wonderful things you create in 2008:) xoxox...jenn

Catherine Holman said...

Susan, Great blog! I love altered art. Thanks for visiting my blog and I'll be back to read more of yours. Catherine

LuLu Mypinkturtle said...

Bonjour Susan! BONNE ANNÉE 2008!!! You will not believe this but I kept my Fun Flowers Creepy Crawlers stove and molds and goop in their original boxes and when my son was 6 and found the boxes, he literally fell in love with it. He would take the box out weekly, bake a batch or horrifying creature pieces, take them to school and beam with happiness. This used to be my fav toy too, I was not a Barbie type.

I too have been thinking about painting bigger canvases...I work on several paintings at a time now but have difficulty keeping the color schemes different from one painting to the other, making them look more like a serie...so, I have mixed feelings about working on more than one piece at a time...LOVE YOUR ALTERED ART ! Take care!