Sunday, November 23, 2008

Let's make candy

Here is a step by step view of making molded candy. I got the candy melts at Michael's. I am not a candy maker, so I took what I thought would be the easy way out. I think this would have been easier and the clean up would be quicker if I had used a disposable pastry bag. I haven't done any cake decorating for years and no longer have those tools available to me. I melted and spooned the candy melts into the molds, because working with what you have is sometimes the only way.

All that being said, here is what doing something like this actually looks like, in the real world.


Here are all the ingredients set up on my kitchen table...


The instructions are on the back of the packages. I chose vanilla, light cocoa and peanut butter chips. I microwaved the candy chips and spooned them into the molds.

This was after putting all three bowls into the microwave for about 30-45 seconds. You stir each flavor with a spoon and dollop them into the molds. You don't have to work extremely fast, but they did sort of want to set up on me, so I popped this bowl back into the microwave for a few seconds.


You can combine flavors within the mold and marble them with a toothpick, for an interesting effect.


As you can see, this isn't as neat looking as on the television shows, but it got the job done. After filling the molds, you put them in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to make sure they are set enough to unmold.



After popping them out of the molds onto the plate, you can see where I combined the flavors for different color combinations, as well as flavors.

Well, that's it for today. Hope you enjoyed it. Have a good Sunday and if you are scheduled for bad weather tomorrow, please be careful. Take care and we'll talk soon.

5 comments:

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Yum! And they turned out so cute!
I just may have to try this with my college girl when she comes home at Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Um...yum!

Oh, hmm, I think I'll bring something special to our A-HAA meeting...it's our almost-2-year anniversary. We need to celebrate!!!

Anonymous said...

Those look so tasty! I have always had the desire to make candy like that! You did a fantastic job!

Suzie said...

WOW Good for you

Anonymous said...

They look yummy Susan! My sister makes candy and I always wanted to and never did. I think I still have a few molds tucked away. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! You have been my only commenter lately...no pressure. lol I always appreciate your sweetness. Thanks again!