Friday, November 28, 2014

Portrait sketch...

I am in the process of working on a portrait for a young friend of mine.  It will eventually be a portrait of him and his girl friend and since they don't follow my blog (I hope) it should be safe to show the initial sketch here...

They took a selfie in B & W and sent it to me and this is what I've done so far...

Please keep in mind that this is just a practice sketch.  I am trying to decide what size to make the overall drawing.  I have decided to stay with graphite/pencil for the portrait.  Two reasons...they are a mixed race couple and I thought doing it it black and white would be kind of cool.  An ebony and ivory kind of thing, plus I had forgotten how much I love working in pencil.  This sketch was done on a piece of watercolor  paper to test the blending, etc. and I think I'm happy with how everything felt as I drew it.

This photo doesn't do the sketch justice, actually it looks better than this, but it's night and I took the photo in the kitchen and I wanted to go on and post it here since I cannot say anything about it on Facebook.

Anyway if the finished product goes as easily as the first few sketches have gone, I'll be very happy.

Well, that's it for now.  Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving and is ready to face the upcoming month of December.  We'll talk soon and I'll keep you posted as the  portrait progresses.


1 comment:

Peri said...

I really like this one! Nice blending!! Can't wait to see the sketch for the gentleman's picture. Nice thing for you to do!
Hope your Thanksgiving was as quiet and uneventful as was ours. December will be a bit more hectic I imagine. Enjoy!