Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Moving forward

As you should all know by now, when life gets me down, I shake myself off and move forward.  Sometimes it's baby steps, but it's still motion.  I realize that I still haven't figured out exactly how to live by myself yet. 

In the big scheme of things I have only lived on my own for short periods of time. I lived with my mother until I was in my late 20's (dating a guy for ten years that wasn't interested in commitment), then lived by myself for a few years, marrying the first guy that asked, who turned out to be a complete loser, marrying me for what he thought was family money.  Then I started staying with family and friends while I divorced him, then moving in with my late husband almost immediately. We met in a local "watering hole" and we really hit it off, knowing that we wanted to be together with our own place so we moved in an apartment, and got married about a year later. 

Tim and I were together twenty-five years, and while we were both set in our ways, and each had baggage, we did the best we could.  After all no one is perfect, right?

So here I am now, almost two years after his death, still trying to figure this thing out.  Due to excellent advice and great planning on the parts of lots of folks, I am in a position that allows me the blessing of living without carrying undue financial burden.

So over the past two years I have been able to remodel my house.  This year I am having the inside painted and redoing my floors.  I'm getting new carpet and having wood floors installed in hallway and possibly the upstairs bathrooms.  Not sure about that yet.

Anyway, while the hardwood floors are being done in Buchanan, our contractor and his crew will be working here doing floors and painting.  I'm going with gray textured carpet and taupe walls.  I may paint my brickwork in the living room to open up the space some...

but the new gray carpeting would make the grayish bricks really pop.  I'm also having them remove the half wall that acts as a divider and catch all...

It used to have spindles which Timbo removed years ago for me.  At least we were able to use it as a shelf, before it was just a waste of space.  Still, it is so 1970's, so the plan is to remove the wall, put hardwood in the hall, gray carpet in all the rooms and paint the walls taupe.  I think.

Who knows what this project will evolve into?  At least I'm moving forward again, not feeling like I have to stay close to home in case,..well, for reasons that I wont go into here.  I'm moving forward.  I'm going to take some classes that I'll talk about later and I'm always doing art.

So that's it for now.  I'll probably put some Christmas lights up again this year, but I'm not even sure about that.  We'll see.

So until next time, take care and keep those cards and letters coming! (emails and texts, these days, but you know what I mean).

1 comment:

Peri said...

I think you have done a really good job of figuring out how to live comfortably alone. Your ideas for the studio and the screened porch and the new deck really made the place "pop"! I think taupe walls and grey textured carpet is a winning combo and I wouldn't paint that brick..when you loose the white walls the brick will become a nice accent wall and the red in it will also "pop" with your furniture! New flooring will be way better than just carpeting!
Now it is time to take some classes and "broaden the horizons" a bit more! I am jealous, frankly!