Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Movie Review (Lengthy post, sorry)

We went to see Tropic Thunder, first showing. Popcorn and sodas, plus tickets...$35.00

First off, it's our own fault. We know not to go to R rated movies. We don't like the things that usually give a movie a restricted rating. That's why we never go. If this is also your credo, please do not compromise your belief system. Stick to your guns! That being said...

I am telling you this as a reasonably intelligent person, a person that loves movies and has seen quite a few. This movie has to be the worst usage of talented actors that I have seen recently. I am a big fan of Robert Downey, Jr. I can't say that I have seen all of his movies, but I have kept up with his career and his very public personal problems over the years. I like this man. In addition to being intelligent and articulate, he is still quite the looker. His scenes are some of the only redeeming parts of this movie. This film is full of "stars" and actually has several talented actors in it. Their talents are wasted and I hope they are not horribly embarrassed to be associated with this flick.

The premise is great. The making of a movie that has gone very wrong. They could have done so much with it. A movie within a movie, is always a complex idea, and I am sure you can start naming off the great ones, so I won't do that. What I will do is tell you what I disliked about this one. I knew it was rated R for violence and language, and I really thought I was prepared for that. Wrong. The language, in more than several scenes, was absolutely vile. Several of the fake trailers at the beginning of the film are hideously vile and otherwise offensive. Combine that with the WORST offender being a pasty white, very fat, disgusting and unlikeable, Jack Black in his underwear...well, it was pretty awful. Jack is a funny guy. I usually like him. He is an excellent musician and when presented with a decent script, he is a good actor. Not here. Bad move on his part to appear in this flick.

Ben Stiller, while not my favorite actor, is most certainly liked and respected by yours truly. He comes from a wonderfully comedic family. My hubs has followed his career for years and has great respect for him as a talented performer in movies and television. It just makes you wince when someone you like is required to spew out the dialog that was apparently written for him. I hope none of it was ad-libbed. Please, Ben, stay with less offensive projects, you are so much better than this.

Matthew McConaughey is the eye candy. It doesn't matter what he is wearing, who he is acting with, what the plot is... why, it's not easy for me to remember if he even had any lines. All kidding aside, his part is a "save the day, by accident" type role and he probably follows Robert Downey, Jr. as doing the best with what they were given.

Nick Nolte was also pretty good, considering all of my previously mentioned observations. I guess it's better than not working.

Tom Cruise portrays a filthy talking agent and now I understand why he has acquired a "reputation". The one good thing regarding his performance, is he is so heavily made up that he is almost unrecognizable. Nuff said.

Lastly, the score of the movie. I liked the "real songs" that were included. The incidental music was pretty good and I really do understand that in a spoof type movie, you need to have some funny, off the wall songs. As the credits rolled, and DH and I walk slowly down the steps watching the screen...hoping beyond hope, for bloopers or outtakes, or something that might redeem this movie. Not to be, the score blasts from the speakers as the credits continue and the song that is being played is a very loud, repeating version of one of the most vile phrases in the entire movie. It's just so bad, that I get peeved thinking about all the unsuspecting movie goers that are going to be subjected to this.

I have a really good sense of humor and have even been known to make people laugh, on my own. I understand humor. I get comedy, I get jokes. I even get very dark comedy. I may even think that (sometimes) bathroom humor is quite a giggle. I understand satire. I get it, I get it... this is a spoof..but a spoof is supposed to be funny. A film shouldn't have to beg and plead for laughs at the expense of some very fine actors and performers.

Perhaps we should have waited until the actual reviews had come out and not based our desire to see this on the trailers. Bottom line being this, if you are not offended by foul language and ridiculous and offensive scenarios being included only for laughs, and with little value, comedic or otherwise, hey, maybe you will like it.

I hope I don't sound like an old stick in the mud. I'm reasonably open to new things and like to give all art forms a try. I thought this movie would deliver, for me it does not. I would usually say, "make your own decision", but I don't want you to have to do that.

Thumbs Down
.

Until later, take care and stay happy and healthy.

5 comments:

hj said...

Interesting blog!

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

Hi Susan,
Thanks for the warning!
I would have been very bummed if I payed all that money for that.
Hugs, ~Amy~

Suzie said...

Im not reading your entry because I wanna see the movie and I'm scared you'll do a spolier. But who doesnt want empty comments I know I do

Anonymous said...

Susan...thanks for the heads up. My two teen sons want to see that movie and probably will anyway even if I tell them I heard it stinks. lol Having an 8 y.o. as well I do not see many movies above PG at the theaters. This is one I'd considered renting when it comes out. Thanks for your review. I'm not a stick in the mud either I totally get what you are saying.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

That's too bad! But thanks for the warning!
Becky