Thursday, May 16, 2013

Matisse trinket box

Just realized that I forgot to post a picture of the trinket box that I made for Peg, my sister-in-law.  I drew the design on the canvas with markers.  I used a Henri Matisse coffee table book for my design.  I really like his use of vibrant colors and thought that they would work well as a needlepoint design.  I started the project several years ago, as you can see here.  I really like to eventually finish what I start and that is why and how the needlework ended up as a trinket box.  I really have very few unfinished needlework projects.  Unframed, but not unfinished.  Blah, Blah, Blah...all that being side, here is Peg's trinket box.

I purchased an inexpensive black box at the craft shop and painted animal stripes on it.


After getting everything penciled in and painted, I glued craft felt into the inside of the box and glued the needlework to the top.

The craft felt will allow her to put delicate items, such as sunglasses or jewelry in the box without worrying about scratches.

I really like painting and drawing needlepoint canvases and have often thought about doing some and selling them.  After I get my house remodeled, that may be just the way to relax.  I will have lots of room with lots of light and I can already predict an increase in motivation to be artsy.

Well, taking Sister Peri's advice to heart, I'll be posting random things as the construction progresses and probably asking for advice on things, too.   In other words, I won't be a stranger.

Take care and enjoy your Spring.


1 comment:

Peri said...

Yay! Peg wondered if you would post about her present. It has a place of honor on her desk in the living room and has already been greatly admired by visitors to our home!
I have been giving thought to doing some original designs in needlepoint--but have to finish that special portrait of you first!
Later,